Truth Is My Sword Volume I -Collected Speeches in the Public Arena
by Bo Hi Pak
My 13 Commandments
The following introduction was written by Paul J. Tobkin, Executive Assistant to Dr. Pak from 1990 to 1995. Previously, Paul had worked with the International Security Council and CAUSA International.
These 13 Commandments were written by Dr. Pak in the early part of 1993, a very challenging time for him. Dr. Pak had already gone though many difficult times in his life, several threatening his very life. Yet through all he remained humble, grateful, and optimistic.
Dr. Pak had long considered the number 13 his lucky number. The tumultuous time of the Fraser hearings culminated in 1978 with an extremely unusual event. Congressman Fraser was running for a seat in the U.S. Senate, which he was expected to win easily. The primary was held on September 12. Fraser was sure that he had won the election. In fact, at midnight he declared himself the winner and went to bed. However, the notes from the rural districts were not yet in. About 98 percent of the farmers in Minnesota are Catholic and staunchly opposed Fraser's social policies, particularly his stance on abortion. The day before the election there had been a heavy rainfall that prevented the farmers and other rural voters from working in the fields-but making it possible for more of them to note. The ballots from those districts came in during the early morning hours. At 7:00 a.m., with all the ballots counted, it was clear that a miracle had unfolded during the night. On September 13, 1978, Eraser had lost the election by a mere 3,000-vote margin. "It was God's will," said Rev. Moon at a press conference in Seoul, Korea.
The period that led to Dr. Pak writing his 13 Commandments began in 1990 when he took the helm as Chairman of Panda Motors Corporation in China.
Panda Motors was one of the greatest endeavors of our movement to that time. In reflecting back, I understand now that this mission was extremely important to Dr. Pak. Primarily, he felt a success with Panda would be a great breakthrough for True Parents' work in Asia and a steppingstone for their providential work in North Korea and for the reunification of the two Koreas. He hoped a success in Panda would be a morale-booster to our members, who were still waiting for a great breakthrough that would distinguish them as a successful movement in the eyes of the world. This was how 1 saw Dr. Pak approach Panda Motors Corporation. He worked hard and long hours to bring this dream he shared with True Parents and the members to fruition.
Yet as time passed, it became clear that Panda, for many reasons, would not become what he and so many people had hoped for. Various political and financial problems developed. In spite of the best efforts of Dr. Pak and others, Panda began to falter. Criticism began to mount and became quite severe. At one point, it appeared that everyone and everything was against him. The heaviest and most brutal time came just before he wrote the 13 Commandments. It was early 1993.
I remember when Dr. Pak sent me the first draft of the 13 Commandments. I was moved when I read them. Instead of being defeated, giving up, or doubting himself, Dr. Pak regrouped and reaffirmed his faith, his values, his goals, his way of life, and his relationship with God and True Parents.
To me, these 13 Commandments are the testimony to this man's essence. They are a tribute to his life, his convictions, and his dedication. In the midst of almost sure defeat, he would resurrect. I was proud to assist him, as 1 am proud to offer an introduction to such an expression of this man's heart.
Transformation in thought and life occur. For example, generally the number "13" is known as an unlucky number in the Western World. But since the very cause for the number 13 being unlucky has now been changed, I began to believe that the number 13 is the number of fulfillment. Therefore it is my lucky number. Since then, all the great things in my life have been occurring either on the number 13 or on the 13th day of the month. Accordingly I hereby set these "My 13 Commandments" and these will change my life. Transformation will occur in my life.
1. God gave me a good life, a wonderful family, excellent health, and a divine mission to fulfill. He has led me through many difficult paths, through many impossible battles to victory. He has protected my life miraculously so often in so many hopeless situations.
Therefore, my life belongs to Him, not to me. I believe He has a definite purpose for allowing my life to continue. I want to live the rest of my life to do whatever His Will dictates.
I live my life with eternal gratitude. Even though my life may come to an end at any moment, I will die with absolute gratitude to Almighty God that He had sustained my life thus far and has allowed me to accomplish so much. Whatever the length of life I live from now on, I shall consider it as His grace. I will completely use it for His purpose.
2. I am eternally indebted to our True Parents because it is they who taught me about God, granted me resurrection, and gave me eternal life. Even if sometimes I feel that they abandon me, assail me, and abuse me, they do so only with a parental heart. By receiving and accepting it gracefully, I shall be forgiven of all my inequities, sins and shortcomings. True Parents already gave so much to my life. Even if they took everything away from me I would still be grateful because of what I am-a Son of God and True Parents. How can I ever repay the debt to them? I will always remain as their son. I will die only in that capacity, a Son of God and a son of True Parents.
3. I am the master of my own life. Only I am responsible for my life. I have absolutely no one to blame. Once I have purpose and absolute faith in Him, there is nothing that is impossible. Whenever the goal is not fulfilled, it is only because I have limited myself by not opening up to whole new possibilities and going after them.
4. My life is to fulfill love. True love. I practice true love with my family, my neighbors, my countrymen, and with all mankind. I love my God and True Parents with all my heart, all my mind, and all my soul. I love my fellow man as myself. There is no greater love than laying down my life for my fellow man.
5. I live my life in full joy. I celebrate my life every day. By loving and serving others, I will have my joy. By doing good for the sake of others, I will feel happy. By fulfilling the Divine task given me, I will feel worthy.
6. I will not allow anyone to make my life miserable. I will live with dignity and self-respect. It is my right granted by God. I also respect this right in others as well. I will have full command of circumstances, surroundings, and situations. I will always avoid the situations that will bring me down. I will always be a dynamo, imparting warmth, power, and positiveness so that others will be touched by it and inspired by it.
7. I will perform my work as though my life were depending upon it. I will not dwell in the past. I will live my future now. I will invent whole new possibilities for myself, knowing that those possibilities are unlimited and it is up to me to make them realized.
8. My word is what I am. I will declare my word and stand on it. My word will never be dropped empty. Therefore, I will only speak when I have commitment and dedication. I shall be known as a man of his word.
9. I know I am a healthy person. When I think I am unhealthy, then I am unhealthy. When I think I am healthy, I am healthy. God, allow me to live a long life because there is so much for me to do. I will make investment in my health because it is my first duty to my God, True Parents, my family, and my fellow man. By being healthy I have a possibility of loving them all because my health is my only asset. Without it I do no service to my fellow man. God endowed upon me to take care of myself. I must live a disciplined life.
10. When I die I want to be thoroughly used up. Then there is no waste in my life, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. When I die I want to be remembered as a person who genuinely loved his fellow man, loved God and True Parents. My true gift to humanity is my good children and grandchildren left behind to carry on my brightly burning torch.
11. One of my life goals is to unite my divided home country. Unification is, I feel, a destined historical mission that God has endowed upon me. With His help I shall accomplish our national unification within my lifetime. I will play a major role in it.
12. I hate no one.
I resent no one.
I betray or criticize no one.
I hold a grudge against no one.
These are deadly poisons that will poison no one but myself. Even though there are many deadly enemies out there, I do believe God will vindicate me. justice will ultimately be done. If I do not see it while I am here on earth, then I will see it happen in heaven. "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for Thou art with me."
13. At the same time, I will never give up or give in. I will never retreat. I will never hesitate. I will never slumber. I will never fear. I will never tremble. I will never surrender, knowing that God is on my side and the ultimate victory is set aside as mine. I shall move forward and secure my victory. By winning victory I shall glorify God, True Parents, and give honor to my family and to myself. True Love is my sword of victory!
Download entire page and pages related to it in ZIP format
Table of Contents