The Words of Hyung Jin Moon From 2009
May God and True Parents? Blessings and love be with brothers and sisters in all regions and mission nations.
1. The emblem of the Unification Church is the symbol of our activities. This is to announce the general use of the emblem (or symbol) of the Unification Church for the activities of the church and its members, for which True Parents gave their permission during Hoon Dok Hae at Cheonhwagung on June 23, 2009.
1) The emblem of the Unification Church, the symbol of our religion, was designated in accordance with True Father's design in January 1965 at the former headquarters church in Chungpa-dong, Korea. (Refer to: True Father's explanation of the emblem of the Unification Church below)
2) True Parents were victorious in the course of restoration through indemnity. They are the eternal True Parents of Humankind and the King and Queen of Peace. Their coronation was held on June 13, 2006 on the occasion of their entrance into Cheon Jeong Gung, and they proclaimed Cheon Il Guk throughout heaven and earth. During that historic ceremony, the emblem of the Unification Church was designated as the national flag of Cheon Il Guk, and the national anthem (the holy song “Blessing of Glory”), national flowers (rose and lily), and national bird (crane) were designated and proclaimed.
3) Our members should establish their identity as proud Unificationists. True Father explained (on June 23, 2009) that “The roots of the name "Unification Church should be found in its emblem.” Therefore, the Unification Church emblem will be used broadly in all our witnessing, public relations, service activities, church activities, and on our web sites.
4) The Unification Church is a religion in the same way that Buddhism, Confucianism and Islam are religions. As the parent religion, the Unification Church must establish the Abel-realm on a new, global level by harmonizing and uniting not just Christianity but all the world's religions through the true love of God. (See Pyunghwa Shingyeong, Peace Message number 1, given on September 12, 2005) The foundation for the “unification of religions through returning resurrection” which is explained in the chapter on Resurrection in Exposition of the Divine Principle, is being laid through True Parents' realm of victory, the works of the True Family in the spirit world, and the Blessing of religious people beginning with the four great saints in the spirit world.
5) In this era of Cheon Il Guk after the revolutionary coming of heaven, all members should inherit the true love of God and practice true love under the emblem of Unification Church, which is the Cheon Il Guk flag and the symbol of our religion. They should build Cheon Il Guk, which is the ideal of God and the True Parents of Heaven, Earth and Humankind and the goal of the Unification Church.
True Parents' explanation of the emblem of Unification Church:
All things in the universe were created to engage in give and take. This emblem is a symbol of heaven and earth that is formed centering on God, just as the universe is formed centering on the sun in this solar system that is inhabited by human beings. The center of the emblem indicates that all our ideals are connected together here. Twelve lines radiate from the center. The four thicker lines represent the four directions: four directions must be fixed in order for a being to be centered and remain standing. In other words, this refers to the four-position foundation. All twelve lines express the months of the year centering on the four directions of north, south, east and west. This all revolves through relationships of give and take.
If you take a holistic view of the emblem of the Unification Church you will see that it resembles the steering wheel of a ship, indicating that we ourselves must steer heaven and earth (the cosmos). The emblem of Unification Church contains all the contents of the Principle of Creation, which is our ideal.
Usually a flag symbolizes a nation. The emblem of the Unification Church today represents our church but it symbolizes a unified world and the bright day on which God's purpose of creation is fulfilled -- a world that is in accord with God's heart, a unique world that is the hope of not only our church but of all history, of the present and of the future. Consequently, those who live with God's heart, cherishing this emblem in their bosom, will gain the strength to overcome Satan and his treacherous forces. If you believe this, therefore, and go forward with courage, God will work through you with this emblem wherever you go.
Hyung Jin Moon